Monday, February 23, 2015

My Journey to RockLandia

It's been a while since my last head trip. I've been busy business traveling these past months, doing some office chores and playing a lot of Clash of Clans (android strategic game).

If you ever happened to hear people (my officemates) call me "IDOL!", then throws in that peace sign with their hands like in concerts, let me tell you why...

I am a rockstar and yes! I love Nirvana and U2.

I will tell you, like I told the crowd during the MERALCO Battle of the Bands  last November 7, 2014, how I dreamt being in a band, how I wanted to perform on stage and how I thought everything will just be a vision. Everything just came too fast and surreal to me that I thought everything was just a dream until 3days. Haha!

Thursday, a week before that event, my colleague called and informed me if I'm willing to join the BotB, I said of course (just kidding) and submitted our entry (oh! Well...). We planned to practice just that following Monday, November 3, 2014, (because we are all professionals and all,haha) but all 4 of us are so busy that we decided to do it on the following day (we are thaaat good!). We still have no song that morning, lunchbreak when someone suggested "Sampaguita" song... "Nosi Ba Lasi" (it's a good choice for BotB song entry) and the group agreed. Knowing how my OPM knowledge sucks, I have to memorize the song. Our 3 session- 5hour practice was a no-good. I messed-up the lyrics but fortunately, my band is the best. I have the best lead guitarist (Leejay Caringal) and bass guitarist (Lawrence Yap) and easy-learner drummer (Jeck Calamiong). During the event, I feel confident after listening the other bands performed. I mean, during our practice, we took videos and listened to ourselves and felt bad about it but then came other bands like a confidence booster because few (or most) failed. You know live performance right, anything can go wrong but we didn't. Hehe! We performed and owned the night. We may not be the champion but we know we did great. We made our company, colleagues and friends proud, we made each other proud and we fulfilled our dreams.

Me - banging my head like a pro!


That night didn't end there. We had invitations. I got gig invitations. We performed during our Company's Anniversary celebration, during Christmas parties and our management bought and built us musical lounge.

One can never say how possible or impossible a dream is, even the wildest. Even if I used to sing during my younger years, I never thought I will make it to the rock stage. Especially when someone starts working and all the stuff life throwing at us.

Sure, I don't have the best and strong vocals but I have the passion and guts. Also, I've known no one, not even in my circle of friends, that ever love rock and grunge music more than I do.

Lesson - Never ignore and give up on a dream, no matter how impossible it may seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment