Saturday, April 11, 2015

PASTArrific!!!

One can never go wrong with pasta. Spaghetti, Penne, Linguine, Fetuccine, Fusilli, Macaroni, Lasagne, Farfelle...oh well, after all the varities known to men (hehe!) I guess they are all I got not just because they are the most popular but I have cooked and experimented these pastas in many ways.

Last night, I tried making fresh pasta and it tasted like bread...hehe! Because basically the ingredients ( flour, egg, salt and water) are that of a bread minus baking powder. It's more "chewy" than the normal dry type known to many and it tasted superlatively great.




However, I prefer the common type store bought dry pasta more than the fresh one in one basic reason and that is storage. Fresh pasta can go on for 4 days in refrigerator before it comes dry but dry pasta can last for a year.

I like stocking few varieties of pasta for emergency purposes, like I remember a time when it was very late at night, we (college mates) doing some school works, it's raining heavily outside and everyone was hungry. Since we can't go out for some meal, I tossed in some cooked linguine in oil, canned sardines and tomatoes and made everybody full and happy. Then, there was a time when I don't have enough money to buy snacks. I went to the kitchen and instantly made myself stir fry spaghetti out of oil, soy sauce and seasoning (solve!). Pasta saved me several times already that it is one of my favorite things in the world.

In case you didn't know!

Many believe that pasta was originated in China and was introduced by Marco Polo to Italy - not true! Italians are making fresh pasta long before Marco Polo came to Asia.

Macaroni is actually the proper term for all pasta made from wheat flour and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment